Three Meaningful Codes of Ethics contained in the NAEYC and DEC

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Mapping My Learning Connections

How has your network changed the way you learn?

My learning network has been changed in ways that sometimes I feel as though it is challenged. I come from a family that has a long line of educators, which is why I was encouraged to go into education in the first place. I say my network has been a bit of a challenge because I feel I am often struggling to keep up with what is being accomplished by some of my relatives my age or struggling even harder to maintain or succeed what has already been accomplished by someone such as my Grandmother, who was in the educational field for years, including being one step from being the Superintendent of the schools before retirement. I go to her a lot for advice about different learning processes or understandings or even if I am having a hard time communicating to those I instruct. With that said, I find that my network has changed not just because of the challenge but also getting the “real” side of things and how it really should be rather than just referencing people’s opinions.

Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?

The best digital tools that work for me are search engines, such as Google and Yahoo. Although the sometimes frowned upon, Wikipedia, I still use it because although this source may not be as reliable, it still gives me a better understanding of the concept. I find that whenever I need to find out more information or meaning of something I do not understand, I turn to these sources. Ultimately, they give me the breakdown of the term or concept, which gives me what I need.

How do you gain new knowledge when you have questions?

I usually attempt to first Google the concept. If that does not work, I then turn to a family member who may have used, been through or know someone who has had a similar situation. Although this may be an uncreditable way of figuring things out, however what is the best way to learn about something, experiences or word of mouth.

In what ways does your personal learning network support or the central tenets of connectivism?

My learning network support helps me in many different ways such as helping me “connect” two concepts by linking it to personal experiences or experiences that I have heard others have gone through. I am a huge fan of this way of learning. Many times, especially being new to learning about education, I try to read the concept and link it to something that I have either gone through in the business field, or something personal. This can also be demonstrated by using my favorite search engines or many times, if you post something on a social media website, someone can relate – which is one of the perks of the internet. According to Siemens, “considering technology and meaning-making as learning activities begins to move learning into the digital age” (2005, para. 15). Inherent to this new viewpoint on learning is the idea that we can no longer personally experience everything there is to experience as we try to learn something new. We must create networks which, simply defined, are connections between entities. By using these networks - of people, of technology, of social structures, of systems, of power grids, etc. - learning communities can share their ideas with others, thereby “cross-pollinating” the learning environment (Siemens, 2005, para. 21).

 
References:

Siemens, G. (2005, January). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. International Journal of Instructional Technology & Distance Learning, Retrieved October 06, 2013, from http://www.itdl.org/Journal/Jan_05/article01.htm

Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved October 06, 2013 from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Connectivism

No comments:

Post a Comment