Three Meaningful Codes of Ethics contained in the NAEYC and DEC

Saturday, May 26, 2012

My Connections to Play

My Connections to Play

-          Children learn as they play. Most importantly, in play children learn how to learn.
-          O. Fred Donaldson
          
-          Children at play are not playing about. Their games should be seen as their most serious minded activity.
-          Michel de Montaigne, French essayist, 1533–1592

                When I was younger, play was the best time of my day. I had a lot of support in regards to play, because the town that I grew up in, I had family members all around me. Many of my cousins were around my age; therefore we got to play each and every day after school. I can remember times when I would not be feeling well; my Mom would encourage my cousins to come over anyway, just so that we would have our time play together.  A very important factor while growing up was family. We learned from a young age that we were to always get along and play cooperative with one another.

                Today, in some families, I can see the similarity of the way that I was bought up and how kids are bought up today. Many of my friends implement the same values in their families, whether it is between siblings or relatives.  We were taught that no matter what you were to show love for one another, although at times you may have felt that we were not going to speak to one another for week. We were taught not to go to bed without resolving the issue. Come to think about it, it was almost like a marriage. I hope to see more and more families implement this type of values in their families. It’ll teach children to get along with others and eventually to understand and accept each other as an individual.

                I can say that the values instilled in me as a young child, has actually carried out in my adulthood. To this day, none of my relatives believe in holding grudges with one another. We may disagree to disagree at times, but we will definitely have our play time – where we laugh, joke and enjoy life.



                       
.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked the quote by O. Fred Donaldson. Thank you for sharing how your family supported play for you as child. Play is so important for healthy developement.

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like you and your family shared some great times and are very close with one another. My family and I sort of share some of the same characteristics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the quote that you chose to use. “Children learn as they play. Most importantly, in play children learn how to learn.” Through play, children ask questions and learn how to socialize with others. I agree that children learn through play. Anyone who is enjoying what they are doing or where they are will learn much more than those who are not enjoying what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete